First I have to say I've just started to test out PCGen, reading the documentation to figure out how to do things, so this might be some kind of noob mistake.
I've created a test character, and now I try to print using File->Print. But in the dialogue that comes up only the "cancel" button is active. There is a "Select Template" menu at the top of the window, but the menu is empty.
If I try to do File->Export instead, the problem is the same.
If I go to the "Character Sheets" tab the following text where I suspect the character sheet should have been
In the console where I start pcgen, I get a Java backtrace.
I suspect all these are related, why I report them in one Jira. If you want separate ones for each problem, let me know. Although this is an alpha release, the problems seem pretty obvious, so I suspect it has something to do with the particular environment I'm using, Fedora Linux, or java-1.6.0-openjdk-22.214.171.124 or something else.
Or, as I said, maybe it's because I'm so new and just don't understand how to do this.
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea6 1.11.1) (fedora-126.96.36.199.fc16-x86_64)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.0-b12, mixed mode)
The export dialogue.
Console output from the pcgen command. The Java backtrace is at the end of this file
Thanks for the report. Though this is a Code Issue, moved it to bring it to a Code Monkey Attention.
It looks like your preview and outputsheets folders have no contents. This would be indicative of either a corrupt install or a settings problem. Please open Tools > Preferences and go to the Location panel. Have a look at the PCGen Output Sheets Directory and confirm it is correct and that the folder has a file structure under it containing html/xml, pdf and text files. Repeat for preview.
I had tried to modify the locations so that all generated data would be put under my home directory, while the installation remained in a system wide location. I thought I checked which of the directories were empty, an which ones contained data. But obviously, I got it wrong.
So it was a user error. Thanks for your help an patience! (And for a program which looks promising!)