code/data bug

Description

when viewing the skills page, somehow you get a few problems.
1. the skills do not always update your spendable points when you remove a skill point that was spent, thus causing one of two senarios: either you lose a point you should have vs what is actually spent, or you get negative points that then limit the spendable positive points.

2. as stated, you get nagative skillpoints for a certain level that you are then unable to spend.

3. also stated, you simply lose some of the points that you SHOULD have vs what you actually have, IE you JUST added a new level, and you should have say 9 skill points to spend, but the program only accounts for/knows about you having say 6,7 or 8 points respectively.

this has happened to me now 5 separate times, and it is unfixable when it happens, you simply have to remake the character in a new file and this is rather upsetting and time consuming to do each and every time, whats more, this is an issue that I have dealt with for 3 different versions of pcgen, all using the jre 1.6 setup...so I am not sure what is going on here, but its prevelent in all 3 versions. I don't know if this is something to do with java, my system getting bogged down/pcgen going unresponsive with 0% cpu utilization, or what the issue is stemming from, but I figured I'd mention it and see what happens.

Environment

windows 7 ultimate x64 sp1, jre 1.6(primary), jre 1.7(secondary/unused)

Activity

Show:
Michael Davis
November 10, 2014, 11:17 PM

woops...no, I read N.P.E but translated it to read non player enemy...and yea, that kind of an issue would explain the severity and strangeness of the issues I'm getting...

well, heres hoping that something can be figured out for this and that this can be fixed for me within a few weeks to a month...not sure how fast you guys are able to come up with patches/fixes for individual problems... I'll check back periodically, or just wait for an update email.

I'm a hobbiest programmer, and a computer geek by passion habit and nature, so I recognize just how bad a null pointer exception can be...I'll leave you guys to your work now.

Michael Davis
November 10, 2014, 11:27 PM

upon looking at another reported issue, I realized I did not fill in my environment info properly...how on earth that happened I have no clue...but a more fulfilled report is the following:

core 2 quad qx9300 @2.5 stock non-overclocked
evga 780i sli FTW
8gb generic ram
5x hard drives of varying sizes
ati radeon hd 7770 GHz edition

not sure if any of that info will be required, but figured I'd supply it just to be on the safe side of things.

Andrew Maitland
November 10, 2014, 11:30 PM

No worries. As code bugs are outside of my scope, I can't say. If it's data, then I could tell you. However, that all said, if you have java knowledge, and have the time and willingness, we can always use another volunteer java code monkey.

Our two heavy hitters that handle the code fixes are both extremely busy with real life. I can say this would make the list to fix for 6.4.1 in my book, which we're planning on an early December release.

If you are interested, please contact me direct by help@pcgen.org. I'll help you get set up.

Cheers,

Michael Davis
November 12, 2014, 5:24 PM

just realized, I should probably include the pcgen logs in this post...

James Dempsey
November 23, 2014, 11:42 PM

I believe this is the same root cause as CODE-2738. Please give a recent autobuild a test (or the next alpha/RC build) to confirm that the issue does not recur.

Cancelled

Assignee

Unassigned

Reporter

Michael Davis

Labels

Theme

None

Epic/Theme

None

Pending User Input

None

Affects versions

Priority

Major
Configure